Thursday, June 16, 2005

Uh Oh

I received this email this morning from someone I know at work, which was sent to a number of employees in this company. The person who wrote this is one of the higher-ups here.

"Folks, as you have noticed last Friday (or will notice this week), I have begun to wear a skullcap (also referred to as “kippa” or “yarmulke”) at work.

While I have talked to some of you about this already, in case you’re curious, or if questions come up from your staff, my reasoning is as follows:

The skullcap is worn by most of the more observant males of the Jewish faith as a religious symbol, as a reminder of a ‘Higher Authority” above, and it’s something I’ve always worn at home. The custom is a bit more of a grayish area though (certainly more gray than the regular biblical commandments), which was why when I started working here I elected not to wear it, to sort of blend in to the corporate world. I’ve had misgivings about my original decision, both personally and the fact that I don’t want my kids to feel they have to compromise on their beliefs in order to accomplish their goals in life.

Coming back from Israel was a good opportunity to do this, though it’s something I’ve been considering for a while."

In a separate email to me, he acknowledged the role of having me working here with a Kippa that helped him to make his decision. I only hope he is not putting a black velvet ceiling on his career advancement at this company.

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

AT, I find that this is a generational thing. People that started entereing the work force when we did (or after) are a lot more likely to wear than those before us.

June 16, 2005 1:08 PM  
Blogger Air Time said...

could be, although this guy is probably only about five years older than I am.

I was very surprised when I saw him without a kippa the first time, even though he mentioned it in an email to me.

June 16, 2005 1:11 PM  
Blogger Veev said...

Is this about YB?

June 16, 2005 3:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is very interesting site... »

February 06, 2007 5:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is very interesting site... Celebrex for tooth pain depakote+interactions voip san diego ca Tiny ukrainian tits Guns n' roses there was a time Community mart scholarship wal cosmetic surgeons louisville kentucky Adipex numbness Butalbital 252c channel 36 21106 tv guide listings Virginia malpractice fraud legal Iowa luana pine bookcase coupons oxycontin controversy depakote and immune system Low diastolic blood pressure during pregnancy Just domains

February 14, 2007 10:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful and informative web site. I used information from that site its great. » » »

April 26, 2007 3:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home