Wednesday, June 15, 2005

First Time

I have known Yitzi since we were about nine years old. We met at Canadas's Camp Agudah. I have gone to high school with him, graduated with him, and now, we are in Mercaz together. He is one of my favorite people in Mercaz, and we occasionally will escape yeshiva for a few beers, or go jogging to SuperSol in the middle of town late at night.

I have known him for 11 years, and never seen him smoke, or show any interest in smoking, but today is different. He is pissed off or frustrated or just sick of yeshiva. I don't remember. But he comes to my room, and he asks for a smoke, and we go out onto the balcony.

There is a mask of some kind, with spears across it and a pole running down the back of it. It is brown and white, and we have named this mask the god of the balcony. It is in almost every picture we take on the balcony, seemingly standing alone, held up by a pole that runs to the corner of the balcony. The mask watches approvingly as we add another to our smoking fraternity.

Maybe Yitzi is smarter than most of us, though, and it is the only trip he makes to the balcony for a cigarette. Or maybe he just didn't like it.

Either way, it is the only time I ever see him smoke.

Four years later, in Canada, at Yitzis wedding, a rabbi falls and bloodies his nose on his way down the aisle.

10 years after that, Yitzi gets belated anniversary greetings on Air Time.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

No comments about the great one? What a shame

June 15, 2005 10:13 PM  
Blogger Air Time said...

I thought he was comment worthy. At least someone should have said happy anniversary. Dudi must be sleeping at work today.

June 15, 2005 10:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

...or working.
If you asked him today, I'm sure he'd say "I didn't inhale".
I think I remember that mask. I'd also like to hear the bloody nose story. I don't think I was there. *cough* which rabbi was it?

June 16, 2005 12:22 AM  
Blogger Air Time said...

not to worry, i had your back

June 16, 2005 9:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

btw - i didn't inhale

June 16, 2005 2:05 PM  
Blogger Air Time said...

I will take your word for it.

June 16, 2005 3:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoyed a lot! A3 adidas shoes tennis Www.softseeker.ru search results free imitrex 50 handbags and business cases Natural treatments for acne prone skin Antidepressant premature ejaculation dance partner

February 22, 2007 12:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home