Wednesday, July 06, 2005

AirTime - I tried to quit

It's been eight days since I tried to quit blogging. But it is like everything else. You try to quit and you walk away from it, but somewhere in the back of your mind, you are always thinking, man, this would be a great post. So I am going to crash and share some space with the lovely Veev for a little while.

We were at my parent's for Shabbos this past week, to spend some time with my sister who went to Israel on Monday. She is a Beis Yaakov girl, which is to say, she is much younger than I am, is barely getting an education, and thinks about boys every waking minute and probably half of the sleeping minutes of the day.

When we sat down to eat, I noticed a new friendship bracelet on her wrist. Green, red and yellow. I didn’t think much about the color scheme at first, I assumed it had something to with her two friends that she is always hanging out with. But when I mentioned the bracelet, she looked at our mom, and tried to get me to shut up about it. Which meant that this was no ordinary friendship bracelet. This was a special friendship bracelet.

Suddenly, the symbolism of the colors hit me. She is a red head, which explained the red string. One color accounted for. Then there is the boy she really likes. Last name: Green. Color 2 solved.

Yellow is the color of friendship, I tell her. She is shocked that I have this knowledge. How did you know that yellow meant friends, she asks. Duh, Veev says. Everyone knows that.

So we solved the friendship bracelet, but it gets better. For lunch, my parents invited some friends who have a son my sister’s age. My sister asked me not to mention the bracelet in front of him, and being the respectful, caring, loving older brother, I waited a few minutes into the meal before commenting on the bracelet.

Of course, the boy at the table says he has seen the bracelet, AND THE MATCHING ONE. This is too good. Because not only is my sister wearing this bracelet, but she made one for Mr. Green, and he is wearing it to.

Have I mentioned I love teen dramas?

Anyway, the story does not end here. On Sunday night, after the family BBQ, I drove my sister to a friend’s house, and on the way we saw Mr. Green across the street. I slowed down, but could not tell if he was wearing the bracelet.

The street is a two-way street separated by a grassy median, so I turned around, and drove up next to him to see if he was wearing a matching bracelet. This was accompanied by my sister’s shrieking, what are you doing, stop where are you going.

Of course, he was wearing the bracelet.

My sister had been in the backseat of the car, because there were wet towels in the front seat from swimming, so she was protected from his view by the tinted windows.

I think her last words to me as I dropped her off at her friend’s house were that she was going to kill me. Whatever. I take my older-brother responsibilities pretty seriously, which require mental torture and teasing to younger sisters.

12 Comments:

Blogger Jack Steiner said...

As the older brother of three sisters, I salute you for a job well done.

July 06, 2005 2:24 PM  
Blogger AMSHINOVER said...

me and my brothers once had a sister,but we ate her

July 06, 2005 3:01 PM  
Blogger Air Time said...

it is an art to torture a younger sister properly.

July 06, 2005 3:39 PM  
Blogger Veev said...

Gebrec and Mousetrap-
We actually look forward to the challenge.

July 06, 2005 4:08 PM  
Blogger Veev said...

BTW, Welcome back, Dear!

July 06, 2005 4:08 PM  
Blogger docyaak said...

you do amazing work ar

July 06, 2005 5:21 PM  
Blogger 2R said...

So I figured out about 'the boy' from the necklace, and then asked about the bracelet... why couldn't you have posted this two days ago...

July 06, 2005 8:07 PM  
Blogger stillruleall said...

How do you notice these things? I would never have guessed, 2R gave me the heads up to ask her where the bracelet and necklace are from...

July 07, 2005 3:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well Done

July 07, 2005 1:29 PM  
Blogger Veev said...

What all of you fail to understand is that, since the sister in the story is the youngest of seven kids, by eight years, she missed out on having her siblings to grow up with. She enjoys this kind of attention! It's good for her...

July 08, 2005 3:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ALL YOU PEOPLE ARE EVIL!!!!!!!!!!

July 26, 2005 5:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

John, hope all is well with your" legal jobs" search.
Maybe you can find looking for "careers" at www.directmatch4free.com
Just make sure you come back to this site to let us know how you are doing!

February 01, 2006 5:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home