Tuesday, July 26, 2005

you might be a NY jew...

If you think it makes sense to spend $750,000 on a two bedroom apartment in a brooklyn slum, you might be a New York Jew

If you think that by growing up in Brooklyn, moving to Cedarhurst, spending a shabbos in Teaneck and spending a week in Miami during Pesach means you have lived everywhere, you might be a New York Jew

If you think its normal to send your family away for two months in the summer and visit them on the weekends, you might be a New York Jew

If you call it UO instead of OU, you might be a New York Jew

If you've ever spent $40,000 renovating a kitchen that you will never use, you might be a New York Jew

If you've ever heard of Slifkin, you might be a New York Jew

If you can't understand how the Yankees can play on Shabbos when so many of their fans can't watch the games, you might be a New York Jew

If the question you live your life by is "how will this effect my daughter's shidduch," you might be a New York Jew

9 Comments:

Blogger and so it shall be... said...

oh? all along, i just thought people like that were idiots. But what do I know, I'm a NY Jew, too.

July 26, 2005 9:59 AM  
Blogger torontopearl said...

Air Time,
Is this original stuff, ie. YOURS?
It's good!
Signed,
a Toronto Jew

July 26, 2005 10:32 AM  
Blogger Air Time said...

Pearl -

Every post on Air Time is written by either veev or me. You can see which one of us wrote it by looking at the name next to the date stamp on the post.

I can't say for sure if everything on the blog was written for Air Time, though. There may have been some posts that were written years ago that I posted on this site, although I can't say for sure; I just don't remember if I posted old stuff.

There are a few exceptions. The Drive A Thon posts were written by Zwicker, and accredited at the time to him. There may have been other guest posts, but I can't remember any offhand.

The picture of the soldiers and protesters davening was not taken by me, but that was accredited to the source where I found it.

This post was written this morning, though, by me.

July 26, 2005 10:51 AM  
Blogger orthomom said...

LOL.
SW:
LOL to you too.

July 26, 2005 10:58 AM  
Blogger Just Passing Through said...

If you can't visit someone else's shul because it's more that 3 blocks away, you might be a NY Jew.

If you hire a gardener to cultivate your 2 X 2 patch of front lawn, you might be a NY Jew.

If the highlight of your new $750,000 two-bedroom apt is that is has a driveway, albeit shared, you might be a NY Jew.

July 26, 2005 11:39 AM  
Blogger and so it shall be... said...

no kidding...i almost bought a private driveway that came with a free house! that's a NY jew for you.

July 26, 2005 11:43 AM  
Blogger Air Time said...

ah, all the subtle things I missed living in a NY dorm for two years.

July 26, 2005 12:02 PM  
Blogger SportPsych Detroit said...

I lived in NY for 4 years, paying $1000/month to live in a "jr 4" apartment. Now I pay slightly more for a 1700 square foot 4 bedroom house with a finished basement.

I loved NY, but I love personal space better

July 26, 2005 12:06 PM  
Blogger SportPsych Detroit said...

I knew I had to leave NY when I told a NYJEw we were going to visit family in Detroit and going to a cottage on the beach. His response: "Beach? Is Detroit on the ocean?"

July 26, 2005 12:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home