Monday, August 01, 2005

Big Girl

OK, time for a reality check. How many nights in a row does our three-year-old have to climb into bed with us, for us to realize we have a problem on our hands?

At a very funny point last night/early this morning, I was awakened by Air saying to our sweet baby girl, "THIS IS DADDY'S BED, AND THAT IS MOMMY'S BED. THIS IS NOT YOUR BED. GO BACK TO YOUR BED!"

I feel that I may need to mention here that it was the third visit of the evening from said child. And she doesn't sneak in to our room in a subtle way either. She kicks her way in and stabs us with her little toes. She turns sideways and nearly knocks us out of bed. She steals our pillows and says they are hers. It's not like she's all snuggly with us and so warm and cute.

Air, it's time to lock the door.

7 Comments:

Blogger torontopearl said...

Veev, not an uncommon phenomenon. Move to Sweden--co-sleeping is part of their culture.
I, too, complained -- the kids still do it today sometimes (ages 10, 8, 5 1/2)-- but what we did when it was a nightly or early-morning ritual when they were younger, we eventually told them that they couldn't come into our bed, but had to sleep on the carpet alongside the bed. It worked after some training. They'd tote along their pillows and blankies and lay close by on the floor or on the foot of the bed. We're not the only family I know who used this technique. It's rare that they come into the room these days, but if so, it's generally after a nightmare.
Someone told me just to enjoy it as long as I could because of the inevitable that kids grow up too quickly.

August 01, 2005 11:01 PM  
Blogger Veev said...

I actually used to sneak into my parents' bedroom. They had a strict no-bed-sharing policy. I remember one night I had a nightmare, and I went to sleep on the floor of their room. My mom almost tripped on me. Not a good scene.

August 01, 2005 11:56 PM  
Blogger torontopearl said...

Wouldn't you just know it. "Davka," my five-year-old, decided to pay us a "nocturnal visit" yesterday, just a couple hours after I responded to you.

August 02, 2005 11:12 AM  
Blogger PsychoToddler said...

My mom still tells people about the time she stepped on me in the middle of the night.

Re: locking the kid's door: My daughter is 16 and she still talks about it.

August 02, 2005 11:15 AM  
Blogger Air Time said...

PT - We wouldn't lock the kids door. Veev meant our door.

But we do on occasion cage her in there. Only when we want to get the really good screams going.

August 02, 2005 11:21 AM  
Blogger Veev said...

That's horrible. Don't tell people stuff like that.

August 02, 2005 11:28 AM  
Blogger docyaak said...

let them be little cuz they'rs only that way for a while,.......let them... let them sleep in the middle, let them be little

August 02, 2005 11:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home