Monday, August 22, 2005

Isaiah at the Mall

We are in Skokie. It is one of those days, late in the semester, where you will do anything to ditch the rest of the day. Summer is almost here, and in our minds, school is already over.

Lippy comes rushing into my dorm room. I am bored and smoking and glad that it is Lippy who has just walked in on me and not one of the administartion who have been frowning upon our dormitory smoking activities of late. “Isaiah Thomas is signing autographs at Lincolnwoods Mall,” he tells me. He heard it on the radio on his way back from Loyola, and if we go now, we can get his autograph.

Lippy knows my weakness. It is 1993, and there is no bigger star in my world than Isaiah. I do not think. I do not wonder why Isaiah would by signing autographs in Chicago, a city where he is reviled. I trust Lippy, so I get in the car and we go.

But we pass the mall. Where are we going, I ask him. I don’t know how to get anywhere other than to Ken’s Diner in Chicago, but I know when we pass the mall. We have to stop at the Little Blond Girl’s house, he tells me. She’s in town and I need to pick her up. I am annoyed. I want to see Isaiah. But I am a prisoner in his car. So I ride with him to the Little Blond Girl’s house.

We get there, and on the driveway there are two girls. There is the little blond girl, who lives there. She is with her friend from Stern. Gila. The girl I have already broken up with. Twice.

Surprise, they say.

What about Isaiah, I ask.

Just needed an excuse to get you here, Lippy says.

I am excited and disappointed. I am disappointed that I won't be seeing Isaiah, but excited to see Gila, although I don't know why she is in Chicago. We haven't talked on the phone or written in months. We hang out all week, and go to Six Flags and my brother’s Yeshiva in Milwaukee to watch him graduate from High School.

By the end of the week, we are back together again. We will spend time in the summer together, and I will transfer to YU to be closer to her. Within six months I will hate her more than I have ever hated anyone, and will treat her poorer than I have ever treated anyone. But on this beautiful Chicago day, we don’t know any of that.

All we know is it is Chicago in the spring, and Isaiah Thomas is not at the mall.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

AT-

While I have heard Gila's name many times, I know little about your relationship with her. I am obviously not asking you to disclose anything about her personally. But, tell us why you hated her and how you treated her so poorly. Your readers want to know.

August 22, 2005 4:51 PM  
Blogger Air Time said...

Maybe a different post. Not today.

August 22, 2005 4:55 PM  
Blogger Jack Steiner said...

Isaiah would have been really disappointing in person.

August 22, 2005 5:08 PM  
Blogger AMSHINOVER said...

yeah but can she pee in a sink?

August 22, 2005 5:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are so many things wrong with this post. Most of them I won't go into.

But just for the sake of clarification and to set the record straight.

We did go to the mall- and thats where Gila was waiting for you.

Now for the AT readers that are in interested in "the rest of the story". You may want to see if you could track down a guy named Martin- he has a much better memory of all that transpired that week.

August 22, 2005 6:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

im with zwicker on this.
at least give us a gila timeline!

August 23, 2005 6:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This story makes complete sense in light of the fact that Lippy is a well-documented fraud. He even makes up lyrics for "Piano Man"!

August 23, 2005 3:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

a well documented fraud?????

Let the Games Begin!!!!

August 24, 2005 12:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

best regards, nice info Hyperterminal connect cisco router palm pda game download app warez fulldownload Incorporating in nevada franchise

March 07, 2007 6:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best regards from NY! Information on lamborghini patio furniture Mp3 players rio s35s car seat covers for dogs blowjob party pool Pills xenical slimming paxil Xxx asian upskirt White graduation dresses http://www.propecia-1.info jogging stroller

April 26, 2007 5:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home