Tuesday, December 20, 2005

The Rules

A few years ago I went to Weight Watchers. I am, admittedly, overweight. By the standards of the government of the United States of America, I am obese, although by my standards, I am just an average fat guy.

So I attended Weight Watchers, and these people would stand up at each meeting, and talk about how much weight they lost, and how good they feel, and the whole experience made me sick. I lost about 30 pounds on the program, but the problem with weight watchers is once you are on the program, your whole life becomes an obsession about food. How many points is this. How mnay points is that. If I have two waffles and a grapefruit for breakfast, and then exercise for 20 minutes, how many points can I have the rest of the day. It's too tiring to think about food all day, especially when you are trying not to eat any of the food. So I dropped the program.

I went to the doctor last week, and he told me I needed to lose some weight. More like a lot of weight. But instead of putting me on a diet that I wouldn't follow, he gave me six rules to follow.

1) Eat three meals a day
2) Have only one plate of food at a meal
3) Eat all food sitting at the table
4) Don't drink any calories
5) Watch out for potatoes, rice, pasta and bread
6) I can't remember

So I have been following these rules for about a week. There weren't any restrictions as to what I could eat.

For the most part, I plan on following these rules. I may suspend them now and again if I am at a shmorg, and do not plan on following them during Monday Night Football BBQ club, but other than those situations, I will be following docs orders.

Over the last week, I have lost about ten pounds, although I don't expect that kind of pace to continue. And I will do my best to avoid thinking about food constantly.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

doesnt exercise fit in to your docs plan?

holy cow. if you lost 10 lbs (better start thinking in kilo!!) in a week with that wimpy 'diet' then you are either really fat, were eating like a pig before this, are not naturally the fat pig you are, or some combo of the above.

in any case, good luck with the diet.
keep it up -- and dont cheat! -- and youll feel great when your pants fall down.
not to mention how fast youll be able to move around the hockey field, climb steps etc.
if you succeed you can be a shining example of will power to your lil ones.
and, veev! need i say more?

December 20, 2005 8:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

MNFBBQ has the status of Shabbos. You can't gain any weight eating food served during an MNFBBQ event. This also applies for the Drive-A-Thon. Also, I find this rules applies if I'm thinking about MNFBBQ and/or the Drive-A-Thon while I'm eating.

December 20, 2005 8:33 AM  
Blogger Air Time said...

Exercise was the rule I forgot.

December 20, 2005 8:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just play more hockey.

December 20, 2005 9:32 AM  
Blogger Just Passing Through said...

10 pounds in a week?! wow. I've been in this weight-loss contest in the office and have lost 10 pounds in about 5 weeks. Since I really don't have much to lose, I'm on this new diet called the 'no food whatsoever diet'. Believe it or not, I'm in the lead. When this gig is over, I'm taking my winnings and buying a 6-pack of Entemann's.

December 20, 2005 9:57 AM  
Blogger rockofgalilee said...

I stopped drinking coke and stopped eating a whole pizza for lunch every day and I lost 30 pounds in 2 months.

I still eat lunch, I just changed it to a limited lunch. Dinner is normal food.

December 20, 2005 12:59 PM  
Blogger DonutsMom said...

10 lbs in ONE week?????
Just by following those rules?
Are you SURE?

December 22, 2005 11:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home