Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Elected Officials

Have you ever voted for a candidate, thinking you knew that candidate, only to find out that said candidate has changed?

I have a friend, we'll call him NoahsDaddy, because that is his blog name. He is the Vice President of my shul. He and I are having a bit of a disagreement over the content of some purim material. In truth, I know he must be right, because he said the same thing Veev said, and she is always right.

In the course of our email correspondence, he has said to me "I strenuously restate my position regarding the Brokeback Gabbai skit. (a) It’s funny. (b) It can’t happen. I’m making those comments as the VP of the Shul, not as a dude who sits next to you Shabbat morning."

To which I responded "I have trouble believing you can separate being the guy who sits next to me in shul and the VP of the shul. Even when you are VPing, you are still the guy who sits next to me in shul. Otherwise, (if I voted and I’m not sure I did) who did I vote for?"

He has responded to me, and I don't want to get into the details of our conversation any more than I already have. But don't you think that the reason why you elect friends into positions of power, such as the VP of the shul, is so that they can help facilitate things when they get a bit sticky?

I will say that even without Brokeback Gabbai, the Purim program is still strong.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

But don't you think that the reason why you elect friends into positions of power, such as the VP of the shul, is so that they can help facilitate things when they get a bit sticky?

Yes, but often when someone becomes an elected official of the shul, they realize that they need to consider to greater welfare/reputation/kavod of the shul and not just pursue the agenda of their buddies. I am trying to be fair to him; I actually see it as a maturity on his part.

March 01, 2006 9:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Care to post the script to that skit. Sounds really funny!

March 01, 2006 10:56 AM  
Blogger Air Time said...

J - That script wasn't written yet. It was in concept form, and it was going to be really funny. But for now it has been shelved.

Is this SPD Jay?

March 01, 2006 12:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nope, sorry.

March 01, 2006 2:06 PM  
Blogger The Zwicker said...

I've heard the rough sketch and have to go with Air on this. As Air knows, I have previously made him strike other things from pervious scripts for their offensiveness, so I have already shown that I do have some standards. I also should add that I am part of the performing team and realize that I will take hits for anything that's bad. Of course, I will be in Israel when it airs.

By the way, I think the title should be "Brokeback Bimah." Besides having more of a ring to it, the movie wasn't Brokeback Cowboy."

March 01, 2006 2:12 PM  
Blogger Air Time said...

And you're also an elected official

March 01, 2006 2:48 PM  
Blogger Noahdaddy said...

Didn't you admit during our various e-mails that you weren't even sure if you voted when I ran for VP? How can you feel as though you're entitled to any special treatment when you don't even remember if you deserve it?

March 01, 2006 4:25 PM  
Blogger Air Time said...

I admitted it in this post as well. Even if I didn't actually vote for you I believed in your candidacy.

March 01, 2006 5:14 PM  
Blogger Veev said...

Air, it's not happening. 1. It IS funny. 2. As homosexuality is considered a To'Eva it's completely inappropriate. Maybe if we went to a Reform shul....

March 01, 2006 5:45 PM  
Blogger docyaak said...

...you can find someone to play your partner

March 01, 2006 7:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ariel Sharon?

March 01, 2006 10:00 PM  
Blogger The Zwicker said...

I just asked my business partner (not to be confused with a Brokeback partner, which I have never had, not that there's anything wrong with it) who is both an Orthodox rabbi and a former member of our shul. He is therefore pretty attuned to the sensitivities of both the general issue and the people in our shul. He said that it would not be over the line if we exaggerated the characters enough that it's clearly comical.

March 02, 2006 8:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home