Monday, March 13, 2006

My Middlest

My middlest is six years old. Sometimes he is one of the boys. Sometimes he is one of the little kids. Occasionally, he is one fo the older kids.

He has wanted to play roller hockey for as long as he can remember, ever since he used to watch his big brother playing in the JCC. The league required that he be six years old to play, so for the past few years, he has been wishing to play, but not quite old enough yet.

Finally, this season, he was old enough, and he asked, and really wanted to play, and would say things like can we go the JCC now and sign me up, so I did. Which I didn't really want to do, since we are moving and I didn't want to go buy him hockey equipment so he could play for one season.

Yesterday was his first game. And because the league is a really sucky league, and they actually only have enough kids for for three teams, we had a double header yesterday. His first time playing, and he got two games. He was so excited.

He was excited all morning, and spent most of the morning skating up and down the block in all his equipment. He was excited when we got to the gym, and he got to wear all his equipment. And then, he was lit up when he stepped onto the floor to play.

He didn't always know what he was doing, time will fix that, and soon he'll get a better feel for offsides and where to stand during a face off. His sweat soaked hair stuck to his forhead, peaking out thruogh the helmet, but it was his smile that radiated most of all. Even when he had to sit down for a few minutes for a breather, he was still really excited.

I coach his team. I would rather not have to stand for two hours on a sunday afternoon, yelling directions at kids. I would rather sit with the other dads, and just take in the game. But I always coached my oldest's teams, and now, its my middlest's turn (and yes, my odlest is on the team as well.)

I love to play hockey. I try to teach the kids important skills before games, like the importance of centering a pass, or lifting your opponents stick when they are trying to get a pass. But mostly, I just want them to love playing the game. And with my middlest, I can see that he already does.

3 Comments:

Blogger SHEV said...

does he love the actual game, or does he love doing the same things as his older brother?

March 13, 2006 8:46 AM  
Blogger Air Time said...

I think he loves playing the game

March 13, 2006 10:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is a great reason not to leave america!

March 13, 2006 12:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home