Thursday, November 23, 2006

Happy Thanksgiving

Actual conversation in Hebrew this morning:

Me: Wish me a Happy Thanksgiving
Owner of the Cafe where I learn every Thursday: What's Thanksgiving?
Me: It's a very important holiday that's celebrated in America, it shows thanks.
Owner: For what? What did it come from?
Me: When the Olim Chadashim came to America, the Indians were kind to them, and they all had a great feast.
Owner: (Pause) Weren't there wars between the new guys and the Indians?
Me: (Longer pause) Ummm, you're right.
Owner: Soooo.... what are you giving thanks for?
Me: Um, turkey.

Happy Turkey Day!

2 Comments:

Blogger mom said...

good story

November 23, 2006 3:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Monday, September 26, 2005
Things they would never say in Yeshiva"

I just came across this blog, and in particular the above mentioned post from last year.

I don't know anything about your blog and what its MO is, but I do have to comment on that ball playing issue you mention in that post.

I actually have a picture of R' Bakst ZTL, playing ball 9baseball glove and all). He was in his 50's or 60's (he already had a beard). I also knew him personally and know his views quite well.

Sorry about the outdatedness of this comment, but as I said before I just happened upon that post.

November 27, 2006 12:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home