Sunday, April 01, 2007

Arieh Sachs

Last night, after cleaning our house for Pesach, I took my sister back home, to Jerusalem. She lives in Talpiot, just a few blocks away from Emek Refaim, so we stopped for a 2 am cornbeef sandwich. I dropped her off at home 20 minutes later, and began my journey home.

I have driven home from her house many times before, but this was the first time i had done so legally, with a valid driver's license. I wasn't paying close attention to where I was going, and was quickly lost.

There was a taxi in front of me, and I decided to follow the taxi. The taxi wa driving in the general direction that I thought I needed to be going, and I stayed behind the cab for a few minutes. We reached a traffic circle, and the taxi turned back toward the direction from where we had just come from. I didn't want the taxi driver to think I was following him, so instead of turning around behind the cab, I turned left, which was again in the general direction that I thought I should be going.

I drove down a street that got narrower and narrower, until I reached a point where I could go no further. I decided to try and retrace my steps, perhaps being able to find the road i was looking for.

I drove back up the narrow street, ready to make a right at the intersection.

I was curious where I was, and decided to look at the street name. I was very surprised by the name on the sign. For there, in hebrew, was my name.

There was a time when I would have gotten some help from my yeshiva buddies and "liberated" the sign. Now, I just want to go back one day with a camera, and take a picture.

When I came home I went to bed, but looked him up online this morning. With Veev's help to translate the hebrew, I discovered that Arieh Sachs was a poet and writer.

Arieh Sachs died 12 years before the web site we found was posted. The last thing we saw that wrote was written in 1988.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

And now you know another fact about Israel; in order to have a street named for you, you need to be dead. It's the law!

April 01, 2007 7:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home