Thursday, May 05, 2005

Interesting in Bloggerland

I am always curious about some of the people who I read in blogs. Are they contemporaries of mine. Do I know them, and have our paths crossed in the real world. The Jewish world is so small, it is not that unlikely that someone I trade barbs with or enjoy reading is someone I know.

When I nod my head and type in a response of agreement, though, am I talking to another adult? Or a fifteen year old kid. A twenty-something doesn’t know anything yet, or a forty year old mom who has been there already.

I think of Seinfeld, when Elaine finally met the man of her dreams, the man who could touch her soul with his video selections. The man who turned out to be a pimply faced teenager living at home with his mom.

It was interesting to come across Shifra on dovbear.blogspot.com. I couldn’t tell you a thing she had ever written online, but I did see her seminary picture from her year in Israel. 91-92. My year in Israel as well.

She looked only vaguely familiar, but now I have a better sense of her cultural perspective. And when she posts something, I’ll have a better sense of where she is coming from.

5 Comments:

Blogger torontopearl said...

I find blogging with strangers somewhat difficult; I am such a casual kind of person who likes to break down barriers when I can. Blogging rarely allows it because people want to maintain their anonymity.
But I have already had off-screen writing correspondence with several folks, who are as nice off-screen as they are on. In a few weeks, during a trip to Los Angeles, I will be meeting two or three of my fellow bloggers -- something I'm really looking foward to. Strangers sometimes becoming friends is what I find nice about blogging.
Yes, I write with a first name, and like many people say, in spite of using first names only or bloggers' names, we often give enough pertinent personal details that allow people we know who might be reading our blogs to realize that it is us. I tell a lot about myself but nothing TOO PERSONAL, and that's generally how I keep up the barrier.
As a kid, I had pen-pals whose names I'd gotten from lists, organizations, etc. Blogging is sometimes just like a grown-up kind of penpalship. It's exciting, keeps people anticipating reading posts and comments on their own and on others' blogs.
Like I've often said, the world of blogging bridges distances in more ways than one, and opens our eyes to new and different worlds out there than the ones we're familiar with.

May 05, 2005 10:47 PM  
Blogger and so it shall be... said...

that whole post blew my mind, and the ensuing chaos (up to 110 comments). I wrote it about it today on my blog.

May 06, 2005 10:44 AM  
Blogger Air Time said...

I usually wait a while before I post on a new site. I like to read the site, and get a sense of who is there.

I don't mind the strangers, as long as they are my kind of strangers.

May 06, 2005 2:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful and informative web site. I used information from that site its great. Retractable awnings located Latin love songs Upskirts galleries black Physical requirements to be a runway model templates business cards free T rowe price 401k Amateur gangbang free nude asians shemales pictures volkswagen seat covers Hiking trail maps of pauma county california tadalafil dosage

February 21, 2007 11:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a great story. Waiting for more. 1 gb ddr sdram ktc7494 1g Oxycontin names Joseph siebel shoes iowa refinance Zithromax powder packet Compaq ipaq pda sony digital cameras Researching the stock market European skin care in sanford nc butalbital Re-covering stereo headphones Craps table look Vardenafil hydrochlide usual dosage Inside cisco router

March 02, 2007 4:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home