Friday, May 06, 2005

Interesting

Still Wonderin made an interesting observation earlier today. Referring to himself, he realized that he had been out of school for longer than he had been in school.

Applying that to myself, it has been almost 14 years since I graduated. It onlytook tweleve years to get through 12th grade, which means I too have been out longer than I've been in.

So what have I done the past fourteen years? hmm, interesting question. Some of that time was spent in post-high-school Yeshiva, some of that time in college, and a lot of that time at work.

So here is the itinerary for the past 16 years (I included the last two years of high school since I spent it on the road.

89-91 - Ner Israel Toronto - Almost graduated high school. But got into college (with 4-year ful scholarship) based on American standards. Did not come close to graduating under Canadian standards

91-92 - Mercaz Hatorah in Israel
92-93 - Skokie Yeshiva
93- Jan 94 - YU (One semester)
Jan 94 - April 94 - Worked in Detroit and did nothing
April 94 - January 95 - Yeshiva Torah Mitzion (Great Neck, NY)
January 95-99 Wayne State University . Received BS in Marketing
June 95 - Got Married in NJ
June 1995- Present Live in Detroit
Since 95, been working as a freelance writer/graphic designer, worked in an ad agency for three years, marketing position for two, did some long term contract writing, moved to a few apartments, bought a house, had some kids, fought with the wife a little, started a BBQ Club, and planning a 2006 Aliyah.

In all, not a bad way to spend fourteen years.

In case you were wondering, Skokie had the best food and cigarettes were less that $2 a pack, but Toronto had the best beer, and you could hide/store it in the snow right outside the window.

7 Comments:

Blogger and so it shall be... said...

Funny. I also frequently wonder about how i've spent my years after school. although I've been working since 1991, I have yet to make my first million and get angry at that sometimes. So i just say: you have a wife, four kids, a house. Get over it. i feel good about that, too.

May 06, 2005 11:47 AM  
Blogger torontopearl said...

Ner Israel Toronto ... and beer in the snow? How did that happen? I know guys who were kicked out of the school; I know people now who are kicking just to get out of the school; and I know people who just can't get past the driveway INTO the school.
Glad you had a "taste" (bellyful of beer) of Toronto! I've lived here all my life -- 43 years -- and it's a wonderful place for school, community and family.
Good Shabbos.

May 06, 2005 12:53 PM  
Blogger Air Time said...

Toronto was fun. My wife and I were in Toronto for the day a few weks ago and we drove up to Ner (actually we were trying to find a place for breakfast and we drove too far north. I could not believe how much the area has changed.

Fifteen years ago there was nothing up there at all. Just the woods (which provided some cover for sneaking out, nightly BBQs and trying out a Du Maurier or two.

I heard it keeps moving farther and farther to the right, and has become pretty selective in its admissions.

May 06, 2005 1:16 PM  
Blogger torontopearl said...

re. Ner: "selective" is the word. I know two brothers -- one was able to get in and do the school proud; the other brother was refused, although he was no different in lifestyle, personality, beliefs, etc. He goes to Ohr Chaim now. And the older brother goes to Ner Baltimore!
Yes, the Thornhill area has certainly grown; I live just south of the yeshiva, a couple of stop lights south of Highway 7, and going up Bathurst Street is a mind-blowing experience, due to the continual growth.
Feel free to knock on my door next time you're in the neighborhood -- my husband can offer you...good Canadian beer!

May 06, 2005 1:24 PM  
Blogger Air Time said...

Molson, breakfast of champions.

You could see the school sliding down toward the right when I went there. I didn't think it would go into a free fall though.

May 06, 2005 1:37 PM  
Blogger Just Passing Through said...

Air, but you missed grade 9 when we'd go into the woods and night (spooky) and build forts. Not to mention the hockey games on our home-grown ice rink. Oh, and I could have predicted a free-fall. Funny how they've tried mainstreaming and moved to the right and still haven't gotten the yeshivish name they were looking for.

May 06, 2005 3:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ner Israel Toronto - sheesh if the place closed tomorrow no one would miss it. I spent 4 yrs there (a few with Air Time) and try not to remember.

May 09, 2005 11:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home