Thursday, May 05, 2005

(Not so) Funny Yom HaShoah Story

Whenever people ask me why I send my kids to a coed zionist yeshiva day school rather than the hardcore right wing yeshiva that I attended, I tell them this story. While it is not the only reason my kids go to school where they do, it is indicative of

My wife grew up in a zionistic home. She was familiar with all the Israeli holidays, like Yom Hatzmaut, Yom Hazikaron, etc. She descends from holocaust survivors, and is also familiar with Yom HoShoah.

While my family was not anti israel, we did not grow up learning about Israel or their holidays. We also descend from American grandparents who were born in this country.

One day, shortly after my wife and I got married, my brother called up my wife. He had heard that day was an Israeli holiday, one that he had never heard of before, and he wanted to wish her a happy one.

You can imagine my wife's shocked face when my brother wished her a Happy Yom HoShoah, and asked how she was celebrating the holiday.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

...so you throw away your religion for the holocaust?

May 05, 2005 11:14 PM  
Blogger Just Passing Through said...

'Throw away your religion'? Taking things a little far, don't you think?

Air, I guess that explains why your kids don't have school on Sunday's-thus avoiding the carpool. hmmm. worth considering. THAT would be worth throwing religion away for. :-)

May 06, 2005 8:24 AM  
Blogger Air Time said...

I think anonymous is a bit hard core. You should see what he thinks about the rabbis wife.

There are a hundred reasons not to send kids to right wing yeshivas.

I think anonymous would agree, being that his daughter is in my sons class.

May 06, 2005 8:57 AM  
Blogger and so it shall be... said...

Good for you! By sending your kids to a normal school they actually stand a chance of growing up aware that the Jewish religion wasn't invented by obnoxious, small minded people who wore black hats.

May 06, 2005 9:51 AM  
Blogger TRK said...

Air,

Good work. Keep it up.

TRK

May 08, 2005 5:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great site » »

February 21, 2007 4:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home