Monday, May 22, 2006

I Finally Get It

I have been making fun of my sister for nearly six years for not actually moving out of my parents house when she got married. She flew halfway across the world, and didn't start to pack until the day before her flight. Until now, I would jeer at the Torah tapes still adorning her old shelf, and snicker at her sneakers still being suspended by the shoe holder in MY former closet. "The only evidence of my ever having grown up in that house, is my ten-speed in the garage," I would mock.

Today, I threw out or prepared for garage sale:

Books I read and re-read to my kids
The toilet training seat
My son's first teddy bear
The Johnson's baby lotion I bought 10 years ago and never used
Half of my daughter's blankies
My daughter's first (size 2) shoes
So many other things I have since blocked out.

When you are doing something you really want to do, but it is still incredibly hard, you tend to procrasinate as long as possible to avoid the pain of not saving those things that you don't need, but really wanted to keep forever.

My sister has since made a lovely life for herself and my brother-in-law in England, but her personalized baby wall-hanging is still hanging upstairs in the light blue room at 294. I have no such convenient spot for storing my unneeded and extraneous stuff. And while our family still pokes fun at my sister, I will envy her.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

the Nth reason not to go ahead with this harebrained scheme.

May 23, 2006 6:12 AM  
Blogger Toto said...

Veev........it's a stupid saying that many country type on tv have on their walls, embroidered of course, but it is oh, so true....

HOME IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS!!!

Don't stress or fret over the things that you hold as someone buys them for 75cents; but cherish the memories that will be forever in your heart and mind. Keep looking forward and as they say, keep your eye on the ball! (like that one air? a sports reference for you!)

Hang in there......... "we've only just begun..."

May 23, 2006 6:45 AM  
Blogger Veev said...

R- You'd better. I'll put out the welcome mat that says "Home is where the heart is."

Emah- I'm not fretting over each item. Only all of it. It's hard cleaning house. But of course I would have had to do it eventually.

May 23, 2006 8:37 AM  
Blogger Veev said...

When we announced our departure, R promptly turned to her dear husband and told him "Five years."

May 23, 2006 10:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

omg its a plague

May 24, 2006 3:09 AM  
Blogger Veev said...

Shortly, probably.

May 24, 2006 10:05 AM  
Blogger SHEV said...

what the heck is ANYONE gonna stay here with me?!?

May 24, 2006 8:20 PM  
Blogger Veev said...

I think swiftthinker means my passaic family.

May 25, 2006 8:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We will allow you to deposit a small # of really important items, if you must. We'll find room. Then we can bring them along when we follow you guys.

June 05, 2006 4:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful and informative web site. I used information from that site its great. » »

March 03, 2007 5:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool blog, interesting information... Keep it UP » »

March 05, 2007 5:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool blog, interesting information... Keep it UP » » »

April 24, 2007 6:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home