Monday, December 04, 2006

No good title comes to mind

I am not a film buff. I don't spend too much time analyzing movies and talking about them. I almost never watch the deleted scenes or alternative endings in DVDs, because I trust the director.

That having been said, there are times when they show alternative versions of movies I have seen. Like in the TV version of Road Trip, Stiffler (OK, not stiffler, but that is what I call him in every movie he is in) ends up with the blind chick instead of the med student.

So that having been said, I was very pleased to find that American Pie was on TV last Thursday night. Veev and I settled into the coach, with an Artichoke and dip on each of our laps, while, in a bowl, and the dip was actually between us, but whatever, you know what I mean, we weren't sitting at the table eating, we were just eating and watching the classic American Pie.

So we are watching and things are going along just fine. Jim's dad brings him his reading material, the Sherminator seems to have grown from Sherman the boy to Sherman the man.

Kevin gave his speech and read the book his brother led him to and Vicky was, as always, quite pleased. But then, Jim walks into his kitchen, and sees the Pie. And here is where the movie takes a dramatic turn from the version Veev and I saw in the theater a few years back, and on video or cable every now and again.

In the states, the scene with the pie takes place while Jim is standing up. However, in the version we saw on Thursday night, Jim is actually lying down on the counter with the pie underneath him.

Later, there are more differences in the film. In the US version of the film, it is very ambiguous whether Oz has fulfilled his end of the pact. However, in the version we just saw, it is quite clear that Oz and the Goody Goody Choir Priss girl fulfilled their end of the bargain. And Stiffler does walk into the pool room where Finch and Stifflers mom are hanging out, which may have happened in the US version of the film, but I can't remember.

The final scenes at Stiffler's graduation party are more detailed, leading to a richer understanding of the events of the critical night in the movie. All in all, I thought that these extras enhanced the film, although the scene with the pie in the kitchen was just as good standing up as it was lying down.

And that's all I have to say about that.

6 Comments:

Blogger Veev said...

Good, because both our mothers read this.

December 04, 2006 7:46 AM  
Blogger Olah Chadasha said...

There are no US and "other" version. The one you saw is the Unrated version.
-OC

December 04, 2006 12:02 PM  
Blogger Toto said...

yes, OC is right, I remember hearing or seeing an advertisement when Amer. Pie hit Blockbuster that there was an UNrated version with "Previously cut scenes" in it! That movie cracked me up!

December 04, 2006 12:53 PM  
Blogger yingerman said...

I can't say I have much time to watch anymore, but if I did, American pie would be really near the top.
Laughed till the ache hit home.

December 04, 2006 2:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved it when Stifflerwalks into the pool room where Finch and Stifflers mom are hanging out. It reminds me of a time I walked in on a couple people hanging out

December 05, 2006 6:13 PM  
Blogger Air Time said...

Hey Martin -

That must have been the thrill of a lifetime

December 06, 2006 2:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home